Friedman Fine Art and http://www.chicago-photographs.com are pleased to present this beautiful historical black and White photo of Chicago.
On December 25th, 1865, Chicago was given the Christmas gift of what would be known as “The Yards.” The Chicago Union Stockyards also known as ‘The Yards, were the epicenter of America’s meat packing industry and operated for nearly 106 years before closing its doors in July of 1970. By 1870, the stockyards had processed nearly 2 million animals per year and 9 million by 1890. In 1924, Chicago’s meat packing district had processed more meat than any other part of the world and gained the name “Hog butcher for the world.”
However, with all of that processing came a ton of waste, animal by-product that was dumped into the Chicago River for years. This led to pollution which ultimately led to the reversal of the River in the year 1900 as it was affecting the city’s clean drinking water. After the doors closed July of 1971, the Union Stock Yards sign was made a Chicago Landmark one year later. A decade later, it was made a National Historic Landmark in 1981. Photographed is a vintage image outside of the Yards in the 1920’s.
If you would like to purchase or view other contemporary or historical photographs of Chicago please follow this link Chicago Photography and Chicago Photographs.