Friedman Fine Art presents a collection of contemporary and historical photographs of Chicago. The Wrigley Building is known for its clock tower on the south building. It features four large dials with a diameter of about 20 feet. The long aluminum hour and minute hands reach 6 ft and 9 ft. The building also has white terra-cotta cladding and floodlighting. The building was the first landmark in Chicago to be floodlighted. It was also Chicago’s first air-conditioned office building.
Located at across Michigan Avenue from the Tribune Tower on the Magnificent Mile near north side of Chicago, the Wrigley Building was built in 1920 by the company founder William Wrigley Jr. as the corporate headquarters of the Wrigley Company. Two years earlier, the widening of Michigan Avenue opened up a wide boulevard across the Chicago River. Seeing the opportunity, William Wrigley, Jr., purchased land near the Michigan Avenue Bridge to build the city’s first landmark skyscraper north of the Chicago River.
The building was designed by architectural firm Graham, Anderson, Probst & White, based on the Giralda tower of the cathedral in Seville. The first section, a 425-foot south tower, was completed in April 1921, and its second section, the north tower, was finished in May 1924. Walkways connect the two towers.
The Wrigley Building was sold in 2011 to the Zeller Realty Group and Groupon co-founders Eric Lefkofsky and Brad Keywell. They plan on adding a Walgreens, a fitness center, and a nursing room for mothers, making the building more attractive to businesses. View more stunning historic Chicago photographs.
Friedman Fine Art offers a variety of historical and contemporary photographs
taken by the finest Chicago photographers.
The Richard J. Daley Center occupies the city block bound by Randolph, Clark, Washington and Dearborn Streets. Also known as Daley Plaza, the Center is named after Mayor Richard J. Daley since 1976, changed from its original name, the Chicago Civic Center.
Completed in 1965, the main building was designed by Jacques Brownson of the firm C. F. Murphy Associates. The Daley Center has 30 floors, having more than 120 and hearing rooms. It offers office space for both the city and Cook County. The building also contains the Cook County Law Library, offices of the Clerk of the Circuit Court, and divisions of the Sheriff’s Department.
The Daley Center is operational from 8:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. and is accessible by rail and bus routes. A pedway is open until 6 pm to allow people underground access between the City Hall/County Building and the CTA.
In the Daley Plaza next to the building is a Cor-ten steel sculpture. Designed by artist Pablo Picasso, it reaches 50 feet and retains a red, brown color. The Cor-Ten was designed to rust to strengthen the sculpture. The sculpture was completed in 1967, as a gift to the city from the artist. This sculpture became a Chicago landmark.
Also in the plaza is an eternal flame memorial to the dead from World War I, World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. The Daley Center Plaza can be used for civic events or cultural events in the city. To learn more about historical Chicago photographs.
Friedman Fine Art features a magnificent array of historical and contemporary photographs of Chicago.
Designed by architect firms Perkins & Will and Edward Stone, the Aon Center was constructed in 1974 and remains the third tallest building in Chicago. Standing 1,136 feet high with 83 stories, it has 2.3 million square feet of floor space, shared by Aon’s US operations and Jones Lang LaSalle operations. The Aon Center is similarly designed to First Canadian Place in Toronto, Canada, but its windows take on a different look. The Aon Center is also the tallest building in the world without any major antennae or finials at the top.
The Aon Center has V-shaped perimeter columns, resistant to earthquakes and wind gusts. The structure reduces sway and prevents column bending. This structure was also used for the World Trade Center towers in New York City. Composed of marble and steel, it earned the nickname “Big Stan” when it was completed as the tallest building in Chicago. A year later, the Sears Tower became Chicago’s tallest building.
It was first known as the Standard Oil Building and then renamed the Amoco Building. In 1998, Amoco sold the building to The Blackstone Group and became the Aon Center in 1999, although the Aon Corporation moved in a few years later.
Just off Michigan Avenue in Chicago’s South Loop, it is located shopping and dining. Inside, it offers spectacular city views of the city. Currently, the city lights the top floors at night with colors for a particular season or holiday.
Friedman Fine Art features a marvelous selection of black and white photographs of Chicago.
In Chicago’s Grant Park, the State of Illinois erected one of the great war memorials, the General John A. Logan Statue. Born near Murphysboro, Jackson County, in Illinois, John A. Logan (1826 – 1886) was a soldier in the Mexican-American War and a general in the Union Army in the Civil War. As Commander-in-Chief of the Grand Army of the Republic from 1868 to 1871, he also helped recognize Memorial Day.
Logan is also known for his political career in Illinois, becoming an Illinois state senator. He also served terms as a congressman.
Logan was the author of two books on the Civil War, The Great Conspiracy: Its Origin and History (1886) and The Volunteer Soldier of America (1887). Logan is one of only three people mentioned by name in the Illinois state song. He is the father of U.S. Army officer and Medal of Honor recipient John Alexander Logan, Jr. for actions during the Philippine–American War.
Logan now rests at United States Soldiers’ and Airmen’s Home National Cemetery but his statue remains in Grant Park as a reminder of war. The statue shows Logan on horseback rallying his troops during the Civil War. It was sculpted by Augustus Saint-Guadens and Alexander Phimister and completed in 1897.