Friedman Fine Art offers a diverse collection of historical and contemporary photographs in Chicago. At 275 feet, the Fisher Building is a 20-story neo-Gothic landmark, located in the Chicago Loop at 343 South Dearborn Street. The building is known for its interesting terra cotta tracery, or carvings of aquatic creatures including fish and crabs on the lower floors. There are carvings of eagles, dragons, and mythical creatures on the upper floors.
Designed by Charles Atwood of D.H. Burnham and Company, the first phase of the Fisher Building opened in 1896. This 18-story building measured about 230 feet tall and was the second-tallest building in the city at the time. Its steel frame took only 25 days to complete. An addition on the north side of the building was made in 1906, which raised the building from 18 to 20 stories. Former employee of the Burnham firm Peter J. Weber, designed and oversaw the addition, which was completed in 1907.
The interior of the building was decorated with expensive materials. Many of the floors had colorful mosaic designs. The wainscoting was composed of Carrara marble and mahogany wood was present in its the trim.
Today, the Fisher Building is the oldest 18-story building in Chicago that has not been demolished. It is currently owned and managed by Village Green Management Company, and has apartments on floors 3–20 and commercial stores on the first and second floors. To purchase this vintage photograph or more Chicago photographs.
Friedman Fine Art offers unique high quality historical and contemporary photos of Chicago, including a selection of black and white photos of famous buildings in the city. The Carson, Pirie, Scott and Company building, now known as the Sullivan Center, is located on the southeast corner of State and Madison streets in the Loop at 1 State St. It was designed by Louis Sullivan for the retail firm Schlesinger & Mayer in 1899.
The building was built in two phases. First, Sullivan designed a nine-story building, and the second building took over the first, which was built in 1903 reaching 12 stories high. Burnham and Root were hired to help complete the additions.
Notable for its elaborate ironwork ornament on the first and second floor and its steel framework, Carson Pirie Scott building is a National Historic Landmark. Bronze and terra cotta also set the building apart from others.
In 2006, Bon-Ton Stores Inc. of Carson Pirie Scott announced the department store in the building would close. Carson’s closed in February 2007 and was renamed the Sullivan Center, currently owned by Joseph Freed and Associates LLC. The 600,000-square-foot building is the home of office, restaurant, and school users. Tenants of the Sullivan Center include the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and Target, which opened in 2012.
The building is open to the public during normal business hours.
Friedman Fine Art offers historical and contemporary photographs in Chicago. Since its beginning on New Year’s Eve 1920, the Drake Hotel, located downtown on the lake side of Michigan Avenue, has been known for its elegance and hospitality. It features 535 elegantly decorated guest rooms and 74 suites, including a six-room Presidential Suite and several restaurants.
Some notable guests of the Hotel are Winston Churchill, Eleanor Roosevelt, President Dwight Eisenhower, Prince Charles, Walt Disney, Frank Sinatra, and President Ronald Reagan.
In 1916, Tracy Drake and John Drake acquired the property from the estate of Potter Palmer. Descendent William Drake and his wife lived at the hotel until the family lost the hotel during the Great Depression. Hilton International bought the Hotel in 1996, and starting two years later, corridors and guest rooms were renovated.
Located in the Magnificent Mile, the Drake Hotel connects the Gold Coast residential area and the new commercial area, north Michigan Avenue. It provides the perfect spaces for meetings and gatherings. It has classic decor, luxury bedding, marble bathrooms, and views of Lake Michigan and the city.
Friedman Fine Art presents remarkable contemporary and historical photographs taken by Chicago photographers. The Congress Hotel is a historic Chicago hotel on Michigan Avenue, which was originally built to accommodate visitors to the World’s Columbian Exposition in 1893. Located across South Michigan Avenue from Grant Park in Chicago at 520 South Michigan Avenue, this 14-story hotel serviced our nation’s Presidents, foreign dignitaries, movie celebrities, and housed many conventions. The guestrooms and suites of the Congress Hotel are spacious and decorative, with stunning views of Lake Michigan.Designed by architect Clinton J. Warren, the 11-story structure was originally constructed for an annex to the Auditorium Theater across the street. The two buildings were linked by Peacock Alley, a marble underground passage. In 1902 and in 1907, the firm of Holabird & Roche oversaw construction of two additions, making the entire complex 1 million square feet.
In 1940, Chicago artist Louis Grell was commissioned to paint thirteen murals for the lunettes, architectural features around the grand lobby. The murals had popular scenes in Chicago at the time. In 1955 Pick had Grell paint three walls for the Pompeian Room which also housed the Louis Comfort Tiffany glass fountain. The building also features the famous Gold Room, one of Chicago’s most beautiful ballrooms. Find more Old Chicago Photos.