Buckingham Fountain Chicago Photographs

chicago-buckingham-fountain-photos

Marvelous Photograph of Chicago’s Buckingham Fountain lit up at dusk

Friedman Fine Art offers a marvelous selection of historical and contemporary photographs taken by Chicago photographers. In the center of Grant Park, Chicago, Buckingham Fountain is one of the largest fountains in the world. It runs until 11 pm, from April to October, producing a major water display with a center jet that shoots 150 feet into the air. At dusk, the Fountain’s water display is accompanied by a light and music show. During the winter, the fountain is decorated with festival lights.

The fountain’s official name is the Clarence Buckingham Memorial Fountain. On August 26, 1927, Kate Sturges Buckingham dedicated the structure to the people of Chicago in memory of her brother, Clarence. She donated one million dollars to the Fountain and established the Buckingham Fountain Endowment Fund to pay for its maintenance. The Fountain officially opened to the public on May 26, 1927.

The Buckingham Fountain consists of four basins composed of carved granite and pink Georgia marble. The bottom pool of the fountain is about 280 feet in diameter, with a 103-foot lower basin, a 60-foot middle basin, and a 24-foot upper basin.

Beaux arts architect Edward H. Bennett designed the Fountain with French sculptor Marcel Loyau and engineer Jacques H. Lambert. Its design was inspired by the Bassin de Latome and modeled after Latona Fountain at Versailles. The Buckingham Fountain however, is twice the size and recirculates approximately three times more water than Latona Fountain.

The Fountain is considered Chicago’s front door, located at Columbus Drive and Congress Parkway. It symbolizes Lake Michigan and four sea horses on the structure represent the states of Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana, that border the lake.

In 1994, the fountain received about $2 million to restore its three smallest basins, which developed leaks due to Chicago’s winters. Recent renovation on the under drainage system, landscaping, lighting and bronze elements of Buckingham Fountain that began in September 2008 has not been completed due to lack of funds.

For more information about images of Buckingham Fountain, please, contact us at 312-666-9797.

 

Advertisements

Pictures of Chicago Buildings in Downtown Chicago for Sale

State of Illinois Building
State of Illinois Building

Friedman Fine Art offers the finest selection from a collection of historical and contemporary photographs taken by Chicago photographers. The State of Illinois Building is one of Chicago’s most popular sites for concerts, fundraisers, and other special events. The building features an 600-seat Assembly Hall Auditorium, an art gallery, 3 floors of restaurants and shops, and 13 floors of balconies. Located at 100 W. Randolph Street in the Loop, it also houses offices of the State of Illinois.Designed by Murphy/Helmut Jahn, the building opened in May 1985 as the State of Illinois Center, and was renamed in 1993 to honor former Illinois Governor James R. Thompson. The building contains glass elevator shafts, glass-paneled walls and ceiling, and marble floors. Instead of insulated glass, which was expensive at the time, non-insulated glass panels was used, causing the need for a more air conditioning and heating during the seasons.

In front of the Thompson Center is a sculpture, Monument With Standing Beast, by Jean Dubuffet. Standing 29 feet, the white fiberglass work of art has been perceived as a tree, standing animal, or architectural form. It was unveiled on November 28, 1984, funded under the State of Illinois Art-in-Architecture Program.

Tunnels of the Chicago Pedway enter the buildings food-court concourse, taking people from 203 North LaSalle Street, the Chicago Title and Trust Company and Chicago City Hall. For more information on this collection and how to purchase photographs, contact Loren Friedman at info@friedmanfineart.net

Carson Pirie Scott Photographs – Chicago’s Black and White Building Photos

Carson Pirie Scott
Carson Pirie Scott

Friedman Fine Art offers unique high quality historical and contemporary photos of Chicago, including a selection of black and white photos of famous buildings in the city. The Carson, Pirie, Scott and Company building, now known as the Sullivan Center, is located on the southeast corner of State and Madison streets in the Loop at 1 State St. It was designed by Louis Sullivan for the retail firm Schlesinger & Mayer in 1899.

The building was built in two phases. First, Sullivan designed a nine-story building, and the second building took over the first, which was built in 1903 reaching 12 stories high. Burnham and Root were hired to help complete the additions.

Notable for its elaborate ironwork ornament on the first and second floor and its steel framework, Carson Pirie Scott building is a National Historic Landmark. Bronze and terra cotta also set the building apart from others.

In 2006, Bon-Ton Stores Inc. of Carson Pirie Scott announced the department store in the building would close. Carson’s closed in February 2007 and was renamed the Sullivan Center, currently owned by Joseph Freed and Associates LLC. The 600,000-square-foot building is the home of office, restaurant, and school users. Tenants of the Sullivan Center include the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and Target, which opened in 2012.

The building is open to the public during normal business hours.

To view more Historical Buildings of Chicago Photos.

Chicago Photos of The Famous Drake Hotel for Sale

Chicago Photograph Drake Hotel
The Drake Hotel

Friedman Fine Art offers historical and contemporary photographs in Chicago. Since its beginning on New Year’s Eve 1920, the Drake Hotel, located downtown on the lake side of Michigan Avenue, has been known for its elegance and hospitality. It features 535 elegantly decorated guest rooms and 74 suites, including a six-room Presidential Suite and several restaurants.

Some notable guests of the Hotel are Winston Churchill, Eleanor Roosevelt, President Dwight Eisenhower, Prince Charles, Walt Disney, Frank Sinatra, and President Ronald Reagan.

In 1916, Tracy Drake and John Drake acquired the property from the estate of Potter Palmer. Descendent William Drake and his wife lived at the hotel until the family lost the hotel during the Great Depression. Hilton International bought the Hotel in 1996, and starting two years later, corridors and guest rooms were renovated.

Located in the Magnificent Mile, the Drake Hotel connects the Gold Coast residential area and the new commercial area, north Michigan Avenue. It provides the perfect spaces for meetings and gatherings. It has classic decor, luxury bedding, marble bathrooms, and views of Lake Michigan and the city.

More Vintage Chicago Building Historical Photographs of Chicago.

Marvelous Pictures of the Wrigley Building, Chicago, Illinois for Sale

Wrigley Building
Wrigley Building

Friedman Fine Art presents a collection of contemporary and historical photographs of Chicago. The Wrigley Building is known for its clock tower on the south building. It features four large dials with a diameter of about 20 feet. The long aluminum hour and minute hands reach 6 ft and 9 ft. The building also has white terra-cotta cladding and floodlighting. The building was the first landmark in Chicago to be floodlighted. It was also Chicago’s first air-conditioned office building.

Located at across Michigan Avenue from the Tribune Tower on the Magnificent Mile near north side of Chicago, the Wrigley Building was built in 1920 by the company founder William Wrigley Jr. as the corporate headquarters of the Wrigley Company. Two years earlier, the widening of Michigan Avenue opened up a wide boulevard across the Chicago River. Seeing the opportunity, William Wrigley, Jr., purchased land near the Michigan Avenue Bridge to build the city’s first landmark skyscraper north of the Chicago River.

The building was designed by architectural firm Graham, Anderson, Probst & White, based on the Giralda tower of the cathedral in Seville. The first section, a 425-foot south tower, was completed in April 1921, and its second section, the north tower, was finished in May 1924. Walkways connect the two towers.

The Wrigley Building was sold in 2011 to the Zeller Realty Group and Groupon co-founders Eric Lefkofsky and Brad Keywell. They plan on adding a Walgreens, a fitness center, and a nursing room for mothers, making the building more attractive to businesses. View more stunning historic Chicago photographs.

Buy The Daley Center Exterior Photograph

Chicago Photo
Daley Center

Friedman Fine Art offers a variety of historical and contemporary photographs
taken by the finest Chicago photographers.

The Richard J. Daley Center occupies the city block bound by Randolph, Clark, Washington and Dearborn Streets. Also known as Daley Plaza, the Center is named after Mayor Richard J. Daley since 1976, changed from its original name, the Chicago Civic Center.

Completed in 1965, the main building was designed by Jacques Brownson of the firm C. F. Murphy Associates. The Daley Center has 30 floors, having more than 120 and hearing rooms. It offers office space for both the city and Cook County. The building also contains the Cook County Law Library, offices of the Clerk of the Circuit Court, and divisions of the Sheriff’s Department.

The Daley Center is operational from 8:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. and is accessible by rail and bus routes. A pedway is open until 6 pm to allow people underground access between the City Hall/County Building and the CTA.

In the Daley Plaza next to the building is a Cor-ten steel sculpture. Designed by artist Pablo Picasso, it reaches 50 feet and retains a red, brown color. The Cor-Ten was designed to rust to strengthen the sculpture. The sculpture was completed in 1967, as a gift to the city from the artist. This sculpture became a Chicago landmark.

Also in the plaza is an eternal flame memorial to the dead from World War I, World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. The Daley Center Plaza can be used for civic events or cultural events in the city. To learn more about historical Chicago photographs.

Buy Unique Quality Chicago Pictures of Downtown Chicago, Illinois

Chicago Pictures
Aon Building

Friedman Fine Art features a magnificent array of historical and contemporary photographs of Chicago.

Designed by architect firms Perkins & Will and Edward Stone, the Aon Center was constructed in 1974 and remains the third tallest building in Chicago. Standing 1,136 feet high with 83 stories, it has 2.3 million square feet of floor space, shared by Aon’s US operations and Jones Lang LaSalle operations. The Aon Center is similarly designed to First Canadian Place in Toronto, Canada, but its windows take on a different look. The Aon Center is also the tallest building in the world without any major antennae or finials at the top.

The Aon Center has V-shaped perimeter columns, resistant to earthquakes and wind gusts. The structure reduces sway and prevents column bending. This structure was also used for the World Trade Center towers in New York City. Composed of marble and steel, it earned the nickname “Big Stan” when it was completed as the tallest building in Chicago. A year later, the Sears Tower became Chicago’s tallest building.

It was first known as the Standard Oil Building and then renamed the Amoco Building. In 1998, Amoco sold the building to The Blackstone Group and became the Aon Center in 1999, although the Aon Corporation moved in a few years later.

Just off Michigan Avenue in Chicago’s South Loop, it is located shopping and dining. Inside, it offers spectacular city views of the city. Currently, the city lights the top floors at night with colors for a particular season or holiday.

Learn more about our Chicago photographs in greater detail.

Marvelous Chicago Photographs Available for Purchase

Chicago Photo Grant Park
The General John A. Logan Statue, Grant Park, Chicago Illinois

Friedman Fine Art features a marvelous selection of black and white photographs of Chicago.

In Chicago’s Grant Park, the State of Illinois erected one of the great war memorials, the General John A. Logan Statue. Born near Murphysboro, Jackson County, in Illinois, John A. Logan (1826 – 1886) was a soldier in the Mexican-American War and a general in the Union Army in the Civil War. As Commander-in-Chief of the Grand Army of the Republic from 1868 to 1871, he also helped recognize Memorial Day.

Logan is also known for his political career in Illinois, becoming an Illinois state senator. He also served terms as a congressman.

Logan was the author of two books on the Civil War, The Great Conspiracy: Its Origin and History (1886) and The Volunteer Soldier of America (1887). Logan is one of only three people mentioned by name in the Illinois state song. He is the father of U.S. Army officer and Medal of Honor recipient John Alexander Logan, Jr. for actions during the Philippine–American War.

Logan now rests at United States Soldiers’ and Airmen’s Home National Cemetery but his statue remains in Grant Park as a reminder of war. The statue shows Logan on horseback rallying his troops during the Civil War. It was sculpted by Augustus Saint-Guadens and Alexander Phimister and completed in 1897.

For more amazing Chicago Photographs.

Buy Photos of Chicago’s Riverwalk

Chicago Pictures
Chicago Riverwalk

Friedman Fine Art presents contemporary and historical photographs of Chicago, including a diverse selection of black and white photographs. Called the “Second Lakefront,” the Chicago Riverwalk has been known as a great place to explore Chicago’s history, culture, and architecture. Extending from Lake Shore Drive to Franklin Street, the Riverwalk sits on the south bank of theChicago River in downtown Chicago.

The Riverwalk provides a quantity of public walkways and seating areas along the shore, where visitors can view skyscrapers and watch passing boats. The Riverwalk also has attractions such as cafes, boat cruises, tours, and water taxis.

The Riverwalk is the largest at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Plaza at State and Wabash streets, which was built in 2005 to commemorate the war. Here the Riverwalk consists of a lush lawn, a waterfall, and a center pool.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel plans to extend the Riverwalk for another six blocks along Chicago’s River, from State to Lake streets. Learn how to purchase more photos for your home of office by following this link, Chicago Photography and Chicago Photographs for sale.

Photograph of the Aqua Building located in Chicago, Illinois

Aqua
Aqua Building

www.chicago-photographs.com is a site for Friedman Fine Art, featuring contemporary and historical photographs of Chicago. Located at 225 North Columbus Drive, Aqua is an 82-story skyscraper in the Lakeshore East development in downtown Chicago. The building contains 55,000 sq ft of retail and office space, 215 hotel rooms, 476 rental residential units, and 263 condominiums. Aqua was the first downtown building to combine condos and apartments with a hotel.

At a height of 870 feet, the skyscraper is topped by a 82,550 sq ft terrace with gardens, gazebos, pools, a running track, and a fire pit. It was named #22 on Chicago Magazine’s list of the Top 40 Buildings in Chicago. The Aqua was named the skyscraper of the year, receiving the Emporis Skyscraper Award in 2009.

Designed by Jeanne Gang of Studio Gang Architects, the building was the largest project ever given to an American firm headed by a woman. Construction of the building began in 2006 and the building was finished by 2010.

Concrete balconies resembling waves protrude from its surface. Each floor plate in Aqua is unique, resulting in artistically unequal balconies. Magellan Development Group LLC named the building “Aqua” for these wave-like balconies. Its proximity to Lake Michigan also influenced the name.

Gang gave the building sustainable features like rainwater collection systems and energy efficient lighting. She and her team made the terrace extensions maximize solar shading. The green roof on top of the tower is the largest in Chicago. Follow the link to purchase marvelous photos of Chicago.