Friedman Fine Art and chicago-photographs.com present a series of photographs highlighting the historic Chicago Board of Trade bbuilding located at 141 W. Jackson Boulevard. While the building is composed of two parts, the North Building, which was built in 1930 by architects Holabird and Root, has been designated as a Chicago landmark and its lobby along with the façade has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Among the various features, which distinguish the Chicago Board of Trade in the Chicago Skyline is the Ceres sculpture at the top of the building. The sculpture was designed by sculptor, John H. Storrs and features Ceres, the Roman goddess of grain, holding a sheaf of wheat and a bag of corn. To see more historic and contemporary pictures of the Chicago Board of Trade building, please click the link to our slideshow, Chicago Board of Trade Photos .
Friedman Fine Art and chicago-photographs.com are pleased to provide you an array of historic and contemporary photographs of Chicago, including beautiful photos highlighting Chicago’s architecture. 35 E. Wacker is one of Chicago’s most iconic buildings and we have a number of historic, black and white pictures available for purchase, which feature this marvelous example of architecture. Designed by architects Frederick Thielbar and John Reed Rugard; and Joachim Giaver and Fredrick Dinkelberg, who did the building’s terra cotta cladding, 35 E. Wacker has a rich history since the building’s completion in 1926. Although the building’s tenants have changed throughout the years, 35 E. Wacker is best known for its original tenants and therefore, its name as the “Jeweler Building” where it housed most of Chicago’s diamond merchants. To see photographs featuring the iconic 35 E. Wacker, please follow the link to the slideshow, Chicago Photographs – 35 E. Wacker.
Friedman Fine Art presents historical and contemporary photographs of the sites in Chicago. The CNA Center is located one block from Michigan Avenue and the open space of Grant Park, making it stand out. At 333 South Wabash Avenue in the Loop in Chicago, it was designed by Graham, Anderson, Probst & White and completed in 1972, opening a year later. Standing 44 stories, the rectangular structure was painted red to depict the sun setting over the ocean.
In 1999, a shard of glass fell from a 29th floor window and killed a woman walking on Wabash Avenue. It wasn’t the first time glass had fallen from the building. In 1994, glass had injured a man on the sidewalk below. The building had a history of cracking windows for more than 20 years.
After an investigation, the building’s owner paid a huge fine to the city and settled the lawsuit filed by the family. All 3,000 windows in the building were replaced with new glass. CNA Financial insurance company still physically checks each window monthly.
Today the windows on CNA Center are often used to produce light messages, typically those for holidays and other events. For example, in 2005 there were messages while the White Sox played and won the 2005 World Series. To purchase the photograph or learn about purchasing more of these marvelous photographs.
Friedman Fine Art offers the finest selection from a collection of historical and contemporary photographs taken by Chicago photographers. The State of Illinois Building is one of Chicago’s most popular sites for concerts, fundraisers, and other special events. The building features an 600-seat Assembly Hall Auditorium, an art gallery, 3 floors of restaurants and shops, and 13 floors of balconies. Located at 100 W. Randolph Street in the Loop, it also houses offices of the State of Illinois.Designed by Murphy/Helmut Jahn, the building opened in May 1985 as the State of Illinois Center, and was renamed in 1993 to honor former Illinois Governor James R. Thompson. The building contains glass elevator shafts, glass-paneled walls and ceiling, and marble floors. Instead of insulated glass, which was expensive at the time, non-insulated glass panels was used, causing the need for a more air conditioning and heating during the seasons.
In front of the Thompson Center is a sculpture, Monument With Standing Beast, by Jean Dubuffet. Standing 29 feet, the white fiberglass work of art has been perceived as a tree, standing animal, or architectural form. It was unveiled on November 28, 1984, funded under the State of Illinois Art-in-Architecture Program.
Tunnels of the Chicago Pedway enter the buildings food-court concourse, taking people from 203 North LaSalle Street, the Chicago Title and Trust Company and Chicago City Hall. For more information on this collection and how to purchase photographs, contact Loren Friedman at email@example.com
Friedman Fine Art offers a diverse collection of historical and contemporary photographs in Chicago. At 275 feet, the Fisher Building is a 20-story neo-Gothic landmark, located in the Chicago Loop at 343 South Dearborn Street. The building is known for its interesting terra cotta tracery, or carvings of aquatic creatures including fish and crabs on the lower floors. There are carvings of eagles, dragons, and mythical creatures on the upper floors.
Designed by Charles Atwood of D.H. Burnham and Company, the first phase of the Fisher Building opened in 1896. This 18-story building measured about 230 feet tall and was the second-tallest building in the city at the time. Its steel frame took only 25 days to complete. An addition on the north side of the building was made in 1906, which raised the building from 18 to 20 stories. Former employee of the Burnham firm Peter J. Weber, designed and oversaw the addition, which was completed in 1907.
The interior of the building was decorated with expensive materials. Many of the floors had colorful mosaic designs. The wainscoting was composed of Carrara marble and mahogany wood was present in its the trim.
Today, the Fisher Building is the oldest 18-story building in Chicago that has not been demolished. It is currently owned and managed by Village Green Management Company, and has apartments on floors 3–20 and commercial stores on the first and second floors. To purchase this vintage photograph or more Chicago photographs.
Friedman Fine Art offers unique high quality historical and contemporary photos of Chicago, including a selection of black and white photos of famous buildings in the city. The Carson, Pirie, Scott and Company building, now known as the Sullivan Center, is located on the southeast corner of State and Madison streets in the Loop at 1 State St. It was designed by Louis Sullivan for the retail firm Schlesinger & Mayer in 1899.
The building was built in two phases. First, Sullivan designed a nine-story building, and the second building took over the first, which was built in 1903 reaching 12 stories high. Burnham and Root were hired to help complete the additions.
Notable for its elaborate ironwork ornament on the first and second floor and its steel framework, Carson Pirie Scott building is a National Historic Landmark. Bronze and terra cotta also set the building apart from others.
In 2006, Bon-Ton Stores Inc. of Carson Pirie Scott announced the department store in the building would close. Carson’s closed in February 2007 and was renamed the Sullivan Center, currently owned by Joseph Freed and Associates LLC. The 600,000-square-foot building is the home of office, restaurant, and school users. Tenants of the Sullivan Center include the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and Target, which opened in 2012.
The building is open to the public during normal business hours.
Friedman Fine Art offers historical and contemporary photographs in Chicago. Since its beginning on New Year’s Eve 1920, the Drake Hotel, located downtown on the lake side of Michigan Avenue, has been known for its elegance and hospitality. It features 535 elegantly decorated guest rooms and 74 suites, including a six-room Presidential Suite and several restaurants.
Some notable guests of the Hotel are Winston Churchill, Eleanor Roosevelt, President Dwight Eisenhower, Prince Charles, Walt Disney, Frank Sinatra, and President Ronald Reagan.
In 1916, Tracy Drake and John Drake acquired the property from the estate of Potter Palmer. Descendent William Drake and his wife lived at the hotel until the family lost the hotel during the Great Depression. Hilton International bought the Hotel in 1996, and starting two years later, corridors and guest rooms were renovated.
Located in the Magnificent Mile, the Drake Hotel connects the Gold Coast residential area and the new commercial area, north Michigan Avenue. It provides the perfect spaces for meetings and gatherings. It has classic decor, luxury bedding, marble bathrooms, and views of Lake Michigan and the city.
Friedman Fine Art presents remarkable contemporary and historical photographs taken by Chicago photographers. The Congress Hotel is a historic Chicago hotel on Michigan Avenue, which was originally built to accommodate visitors to the World’s Columbian Exposition in 1893. Located across South Michigan Avenue from Grant Park in Chicago at 520 South Michigan Avenue, this 14-story hotel serviced our nation’s Presidents, foreign dignitaries, movie celebrities, and housed many conventions. The guestrooms and suites of the Congress Hotel are spacious and decorative, with stunning views of Lake Michigan.Designed by architect Clinton J. Warren, the 11-story structure was originally constructed for an annex to the Auditorium Theater across the street. The two buildings were linked by Peacock Alley, a marble underground passage. In 1902 and in 1907, the firm of Holabird & Roche oversaw construction of two additions, making the entire complex 1 million square feet.
In 1940, Chicago artist Louis Grell was commissioned to paint thirteen murals for the lunettes, architectural features around the grand lobby. The murals had popular scenes in Chicago at the time. In 1955 Pick had Grell paint three walls for the Pompeian Room which also housed the Louis Comfort Tiffany glass fountain. The building also features the famous Gold Room, one of Chicago’s most beautiful ballrooms. Find more Old Chicago Photos.
Friedman Fine Art presents a collection of contemporary and historical photographs of Chicago. The Wrigley Building is known for its clock tower on the south building. It features four large dials with a diameter of about 20 feet. The long aluminum hour and minute hands reach 6 ft and 9 ft. The building also has white terra-cotta cladding and floodlighting. The building was the first landmark in Chicago to be floodlighted. It was also Chicago’s first air-conditioned office building.
Located at across Michigan Avenue from the Tribune Tower on the Magnificent Mile near north side of Chicago, the Wrigley Building was built in 1920 by the company founder William Wrigley Jr. as the corporate headquarters of the Wrigley Company. Two years earlier, the widening of Michigan Avenue opened up a wide boulevard across the Chicago River. Seeing the opportunity, William Wrigley, Jr., purchased land near the Michigan Avenue Bridge to build the city’s first landmark skyscraper north of the Chicago River.
The building was designed by architectural firm Graham, Anderson, Probst & White, based on the Giralda tower of the cathedral in Seville. The first section, a 425-foot south tower, was completed in April 1921, and its second section, the north tower, was finished in May 1924. Walkways connect the two towers.
The Wrigley Building was sold in 2011 to the Zeller Realty Group and Groupon co-founders Eric Lefkofsky and Brad Keywell. They plan on adding a Walgreens, a fitness center, and a nursing room for mothers, making the building more attractive to businesses. View more stunning historic Chicago photographs.
Friedman Fine Art offers a variety of historical and contemporary photographs
taken by the finest Chicago photographers.
The Richard J. Daley Center occupies the city block bound by Randolph, Clark, Washington and Dearborn Streets. Also known as Daley Plaza, the Center is named after Mayor Richard J. Daley since 1976, changed from its original name, the Chicago Civic Center.
Completed in 1965, the main building was designed by Jacques Brownson of the firm C. F. Murphy Associates. The Daley Center has 30 floors, having more than 120 and hearing rooms. It offers office space for both the city and Cook County. The building also contains the Cook County Law Library, offices of the Clerk of the Circuit Court, and divisions of the Sheriff’s Department.
The Daley Center is operational from 8:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. and is accessible by rail and bus routes. A pedway is open until 6 pm to allow people underground access between the City Hall/County Building and the CTA.
In the Daley Plaza next to the building is a Cor-ten steel sculpture. Designed by artist Pablo Picasso, it reaches 50 feet and retains a red, brown color. The Cor-Ten was designed to rust to strengthen the sculpture. The sculpture was completed in 1967, as a gift to the city from the artist. This sculpture became a Chicago landmark.
Also in the plaza is an eternal flame memorial to the dead from World War I, World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. The Daley Center Plaza can be used for civic events or cultural events in the city. To learn more about historical Chicago photographs.