Friedman Fine Art and chicago-photographs.com present a series of photographs highlighting the historic Chicago Board of Trade bbuilding located at 141 W. Jackson Boulevard. While the building is composed of two parts, the North Building, which was built in 1930 by architects Holabird and Root, has been designated as a Chicago landmark and its lobby along with the façade has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Among the various features, which distinguish the Chicago Board of Trade in the Chicago Skyline is the Ceres sculpture at the top of the building. The sculpture was designed by sculptor, John H. Storrs and features Ceres, the Roman goddess of grain, holding a sheaf of wheat and a bag of corn. To see more historic and contemporary pictures of the Chicago Board of Trade building, please click the link to our slideshow, Chicago Board of Trade Photos .
Friedman Fine Art offers a diverse collection of historical and contemporary photographs in Chicago. At 275 feet, the Fisher Building is a 20-story neo-Gothic landmark, located in the Chicago Loop at 343 South Dearborn Street. The building is known for its interesting terra cotta tracery, or carvings of aquatic creatures including fish and crabs on the lower floors. There are carvings of eagles, dragons, and mythical creatures on the upper floors.
Designed by Charles Atwood of D.H. Burnham and Company, the first phase of the Fisher Building opened in 1896. This 18-story building measured about 230 feet tall and was the second-tallest building in the city at the time. Its steel frame took only 25 days to complete. An addition on the north side of the building was made in 1906, which raised the building from 18 to 20 stories. Former employee of the Burnham firm Peter J. Weber, designed and oversaw the addition, which was completed in 1907.
The interior of the building was decorated with expensive materials. Many of the floors had colorful mosaic designs. The wainscoting was composed of Carrara marble and mahogany wood was present in its the trim.
Today, the Fisher Building is the oldest 18-story building in Chicago that has not been demolished. It is currently owned and managed by Village Green Management Company, and has apartments on floors 3–20 and commercial stores on the first and second floors. To purchase this vintage photograph or more Chicago photographs.
Friedman Fine Art features a magnificent array of historical and contemporary photographs of Chicago.
Designed by architect firms Perkins & Will and Edward Stone, the Aon Center was constructed in 1974 and remains the third tallest building in Chicago. Standing 1,136 feet high with 83 stories, it has 2.3 million square feet of floor space, shared by Aon’s US operations and Jones Lang LaSalle operations. The Aon Center is similarly designed to First Canadian Place in Toronto, Canada, but its windows take on a different look. The Aon Center is also the tallest building in the world without any major antennae or finials at the top.
The Aon Center has V-shaped perimeter columns, resistant to earthquakes and wind gusts. The structure reduces sway and prevents column bending. This structure was also used for the World Trade Center towers in New York City. Composed of marble and steel, it earned the nickname “Big Stan” when it was completed as the tallest building in Chicago. A year later, the Sears Tower became Chicago’s tallest building.
It was first known as the Standard Oil Building and then renamed the Amoco Building. In 1998, Amoco sold the building to The Blackstone Group and became the Aon Center in 1999, although the Aon Corporation moved in a few years later.
Just off Michigan Avenue in Chicago’s South Loop, it is located shopping and dining. Inside, it offers spectacular city views of the city. Currently, the city lights the top floors at night with colors for a particular season or holiday.