Friedman Fine Art offers the finest selection from a collection of historical and contemporary photographs taken by Chicago photographers. The State of Illinois Building is one of Chicago’s most popular sites for concerts, fundraisers, and other special events. The building features an 600-seat Assembly Hall Auditorium, an art gallery, 3 floors of restaurants and shops, and 13 floors of balconies. Located at 100 W. Randolph Street in the Loop, it also houses offices of the State of Illinois.Designed by Murphy/Helmut Jahn, the building opened in May 1985 as the State of Illinois Center, and was renamed in 1993 to honor former Illinois Governor James R. Thompson. The building contains glass elevator shafts, glass-paneled walls and ceiling, and marble floors. Instead of insulated glass, which was expensive at the time, non-insulated glass panels was used, causing the need for a more air conditioning and heating during the seasons.
In front of the Thompson Center is a sculpture, Monument With Standing Beast, by Jean Dubuffet. Standing 29 feet, the white fiberglass work of art has been perceived as a tree, standing animal, or architectural form. It was unveiled on November 28, 1984, funded under the State of Illinois Art-in-Architecture Program.
Tunnels of the Chicago Pedway enter the buildings food-court concourse, taking people from 203 North LaSalle Street, the Chicago Title and Trust Company and Chicago City Hall. For more information on this collection and how to purchase photographs, contact Loren Friedman at email@example.com
Friedman Fine Art offers unique high quality historical and contemporary photos of Chicago, including a selection of black and white photos of famous buildings in the city. The Carson, Pirie, Scott and Company building, now known as the Sullivan Center, is located on the southeast corner of State and Madison streets in the Loop at 1 State St. It was designed by Louis Sullivan for the retail firm Schlesinger & Mayer in 1899.
The building was built in two phases. First, Sullivan designed a nine-story building, and the second building took over the first, which was built in 1903 reaching 12 stories high. Burnham and Root were hired to help complete the additions.
Notable for its elaborate ironwork ornament on the first and second floor and its steel framework, Carson Pirie Scott building is a National Historic Landmark. Bronze and terra cotta also set the building apart from others.
In 2006, Bon-Ton Stores Inc. of Carson Pirie Scott announced the department store in the building would close. Carson’s closed in February 2007 and was renamed the Sullivan Center, currently owned by Joseph Freed and Associates LLC. The 600,000-square-foot building is the home of office, restaurant, and school users. Tenants of the Sullivan Center include the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and Target, which opened in 2012.
The building is open to the public during normal business hours.
Friedman Fine Art offers historical and contemporary photographs in Chicago. Since its beginning on New Year’s Eve 1920, the Drake Hotel, located downtown on the lake side of Michigan Avenue, has been known for its elegance and hospitality. It features 535 elegantly decorated guest rooms and 74 suites, including a six-room Presidential Suite and several restaurants.
Some notable guests of the Hotel are Winston Churchill, Eleanor Roosevelt, President Dwight Eisenhower, Prince Charles, Walt Disney, Frank Sinatra, and President Ronald Reagan.
In 1916, Tracy Drake and John Drake acquired the property from the estate of Potter Palmer. Descendent William Drake and his wife lived at the hotel until the family lost the hotel during the Great Depression. Hilton International bought the Hotel in 1996, and starting two years later, corridors and guest rooms were renovated.
Located in the Magnificent Mile, the Drake Hotel connects the Gold Coast residential area and the new commercial area, north Michigan Avenue. It provides the perfect spaces for meetings and gatherings. It has classic decor, luxury bedding, marble bathrooms, and views of Lake Michigan and the city.
Friedman Fine Art presents remarkable contemporary and historical photographs taken by Chicago photographers. The Congress Hotel is a historic Chicago hotel on Michigan Avenue, which was originally built to accommodate visitors to the World’s Columbian Exposition in 1893. Located across South Michigan Avenue from Grant Park in Chicago at 520 South Michigan Avenue, this 14-story hotel serviced our nation’s Presidents, foreign dignitaries, movie celebrities, and housed many conventions. The guestrooms and suites of the Congress Hotel are spacious and decorative, with stunning views of Lake Michigan.Designed by architect Clinton J. Warren, the 11-story structure was originally constructed for an annex to the Auditorium Theater across the street. The two buildings were linked by Peacock Alley, a marble underground passage. In 1902 and in 1907, the firm of Holabird & Roche oversaw construction of two additions, making the entire complex 1 million square feet.
In 1940, Chicago artist Louis Grell was commissioned to paint thirteen murals for the lunettes, architectural features around the grand lobby. The murals had popular scenes in Chicago at the time. In 1955 Pick had Grell paint three walls for the Pompeian Room which also housed the Louis Comfort Tiffany glass fountain. The building also features the famous Gold Room, one of Chicago’s most beautiful ballrooms. Find more Old Chicago Photos.
Friedman Fine Art presents a collection of contemporary and historical photographs of Chicago. The Wrigley Building is known for its clock tower on the south building. It features four large dials with a diameter of about 20 feet. The long aluminum hour and minute hands reach 6 ft and 9 ft. The building also has white terra-cotta cladding and floodlighting. The building was the first landmark in Chicago to be floodlighted. It was also Chicago’s first air-conditioned office building.
Located at across Michigan Avenue from the Tribune Tower on the Magnificent Mile near north side of Chicago, the Wrigley Building was built in 1920 by the company founder William Wrigley Jr. as the corporate headquarters of the Wrigley Company. Two years earlier, the widening of Michigan Avenue opened up a wide boulevard across the Chicago River. Seeing the opportunity, William Wrigley, Jr., purchased land near the Michigan Avenue Bridge to build the city’s first landmark skyscraper north of the Chicago River.
The building was designed by architectural firm Graham, Anderson, Probst & White, based on the Giralda tower of the cathedral in Seville. The first section, a 425-foot south tower, was completed in April 1921, and its second section, the north tower, was finished in May 1924. Walkways connect the two towers.
The Wrigley Building was sold in 2011 to the Zeller Realty Group and Groupon co-founders Eric Lefkofsky and Brad Keywell. They plan on adding a Walgreens, a fitness center, and a nursing room for mothers, making the building more attractive to businesses. View more stunning historic Chicago photographs.
Friedman Fine Art offers a variety of historical and contemporary photographs
taken by the finest Chicago photographers.
The Richard J. Daley Center occupies the city block bound by Randolph, Clark, Washington and Dearborn Streets. Also known as Daley Plaza, the Center is named after Mayor Richard J. Daley since 1976, changed from its original name, the Chicago Civic Center.
Completed in 1965, the main building was designed by Jacques Brownson of the firm C. F. Murphy Associates. The Daley Center has 30 floors, having more than 120 and hearing rooms. It offers office space for both the city and Cook County. The building also contains the Cook County Law Library, offices of the Clerk of the Circuit Court, and divisions of the Sheriff’s Department.
The Daley Center is operational from 8:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. and is accessible by rail and bus routes. A pedway is open until 6 pm to allow people underground access between the City Hall/County Building and the CTA.
In the Daley Plaza next to the building is a Cor-ten steel sculpture. Designed by artist Pablo Picasso, it reaches 50 feet and retains a red, brown color. The Cor-Ten was designed to rust to strengthen the sculpture. The sculpture was completed in 1967, as a gift to the city from the artist. This sculpture became a Chicago landmark.
Also in the plaza is an eternal flame memorial to the dead from World War I, World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. The Daley Center Plaza can be used for civic events or cultural events in the city. To learn more about historical Chicago photographs.
Friedman Fine Art features a magnificent array of historical and contemporary photographs of Chicago.
Designed by architect firms Perkins & Will and Edward Stone, the Aon Center was constructed in 1974 and remains the third tallest building in Chicago. Standing 1,136 feet high with 83 stories, it has 2.3 million square feet of floor space, shared by Aon’s US operations and Jones Lang LaSalle operations. The Aon Center is similarly designed to First Canadian Place in Toronto, Canada, but its windows take on a different look. The Aon Center is also the tallest building in the world without any major antennae or finials at the top.
The Aon Center has V-shaped perimeter columns, resistant to earthquakes and wind gusts. The structure reduces sway and prevents column bending. This structure was also used for the World Trade Center towers in New York City. Composed of marble and steel, it earned the nickname “Big Stan” when it was completed as the tallest building in Chicago. A year later, the Sears Tower became Chicago’s tallest building.
It was first known as the Standard Oil Building and then renamed the Amoco Building. In 1998, Amoco sold the building to The Blackstone Group and became the Aon Center in 1999, although the Aon Corporation moved in a few years later.
Just off Michigan Avenue in Chicago’s South Loop, it is located shopping and dining. Inside, it offers spectacular city views of the city. Currently, the city lights the top floors at night with colors for a particular season or holiday.
Friedman Fine Art features a marvelous selection of black and white photographs of Chicago.
In Chicago’s Grant Park, the State of Illinois erected one of the great war memorials, the General John A. Logan Statue. Born near Murphysboro, Jackson County, in Illinois, John A. Logan (1826 – 1886) was a soldier in the Mexican-American War and a general in the Union Army in the Civil War. As Commander-in-Chief of the Grand Army of the Republic from 1868 to 1871, he also helped recognize Memorial Day.
Logan is also known for his political career in Illinois, becoming an Illinois state senator. He also served terms as a congressman.
Logan was the author of two books on the Civil War, The Great Conspiracy: Its Origin and History (1886) and The Volunteer Soldier of America (1887). Logan is one of only three people mentioned by name in the Illinois state song. He is the father of U.S. Army officer and Medal of Honor recipient John Alexander Logan, Jr. for actions during the Philippine–American War.
Logan now rests at United States Soldiers’ and Airmen’s Home National Cemetery but his statue remains in Grant Park as a reminder of war. The statue shows Logan on horseback rallying his troops during the Civil War. It was sculpted by Augustus Saint-Guadens and Alexander Phimister and completed in 1897.
www.chicago-photographs.com is a site for Friedman Fine Art, featuring contemporary and historical photographs of Chicago. Located at 225 North Columbus Drive, Aqua is an 82-story skyscraper in the Lakeshore East development in downtown Chicago. The building contains 55,000 sq ft of retail and office space, 215 hotel rooms, 476 rental residential units, and 263 condominiums. Aqua was the first downtown building to combine condos and apartments with a hotel.
At a height of 870 feet, the skyscraper is topped by a 82,550 sq ft terrace with gardens, gazebos, pools, a running track, and a fire pit. It was named #22 on Chicago Magazine’s list of the Top 40 Buildings in Chicago. The Aqua was named the skyscraper of the year, receiving the Emporis Skyscraper Award in 2009.
Designed by Jeanne Gang of Studio Gang Architects, the building was the largest project ever given to an American firm headed by a woman. Construction of the building began in 2006 and the building was finished by 2010.
Concrete balconies resembling waves protrude from its surface. Each floor plate in Aqua is unique, resulting in artistically unequal balconies. Magellan Development Group LLC named the building “Aqua” for these wave-like balconies. Its proximity to Lake Michigan also influenced the name.
Gang gave the building sustainable features like rainwater collection systems and energy efficient lighting. She and her team made the terrace extensions maximize solar shading. The green roof on top of the tower is the largest in Chicago. Follow the link to purchase marvelous photos of Chicago.
Friedman Fine Art presents historical and contemporary photographs of Chicago. The Calder’s Flamingo, located in the Federal Plaza in front of the Kluczynski Federal Building in Chicago, has a curved shape and vivid color that contrasts drastically with the glass and angular steel in the buildings surrounding it. The Flamingo weighs 50 tons and stands 53 feet tall, composed of steel stabile, a material pioneered by its designer American artist Alexander Calder. Calder gave the stabile its unique color, which has been called “Calder red.” Despite its appearance, the structure is stationary, as opposed to a mobile structure.
Flamingo was the first work of art commissioned by the General Services Administration under the federal Percent for Art program, which sets a percentage of its budget to public art. The plaza, surrounded by rectangular modern buildings, needed an arching art form with dynamic surfaces. Calder was commissioned to design the structure and he revealed the model for Flamingo on April 23, 1973 at the Art Institute of Chicago. The sculpture was presented to the public on October 25, 1974.
For the past 38 years, the Flamingo has occupied a civic space known for serious debates.
Chicago’s Federal Plaza is known as the site of mass demonstrations against anything from the war in Afghanistan to Obamacare, the Flamingo presiding over all the protests.
Despite its large size, the open design allows people to walk under and through the sculpture, leading one to perceive it to human scale. The structure is open to the public daily.
Currently, the General Services Administration is implementing a four-week restoration of the sculpture. The treatment includes coating the metal with a zinc-rich primer for extra durability, and applying a topcoat of “Calder Red” paint to prevent corrosion. To purchase visit our Chicago Photographs contact form.