Buckingham Fountain Chicago Photographs

chicago-buckingham-fountain-photos

Marvelous Photograph of Chicago’s Buckingham Fountain lit up at dusk

Friedman Fine Art offers a marvelous selection of historical and contemporary photographs taken by Chicago photographers. In the center of Grant Park, Chicago, Buckingham Fountain is one of the largest fountains in the world. It runs until 11 pm, from April to October, producing a major water display with a center jet that shoots 150 feet into the air. At dusk, the Fountain’s water display is accompanied by a light and music show. During the winter, the fountain is decorated with festival lights.

The fountain’s official name is the Clarence Buckingham Memorial Fountain. On August 26, 1927, Kate Sturges Buckingham dedicated the structure to the people of Chicago in memory of her brother, Clarence. She donated one million dollars to the Fountain and established the Buckingham Fountain Endowment Fund to pay for its maintenance. The Fountain officially opened to the public on May 26, 1927.

The Buckingham Fountain consists of four basins composed of carved granite and pink Georgia marble. The bottom pool of the fountain is about 280 feet in diameter, with a 103-foot lower basin, a 60-foot middle basin, and a 24-foot upper basin.

Beaux arts architect Edward H. Bennett designed the Fountain with French sculptor Marcel Loyau and engineer Jacques H. Lambert. Its design was inspired by the Bassin de Latome and modeled after Latona Fountain at Versailles. The Buckingham Fountain however, is twice the size and recirculates approximately three times more water than Latona Fountain.

The Fountain is considered Chicago’s front door, located at Columbus Drive and Congress Parkway. It symbolizes Lake Michigan and four sea horses on the structure represent the states of Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana, that border the lake.

In 1994, the fountain received about $2 million to restore its three smallest basins, which developed leaks due to Chicago’s winters. Recent renovation on the under drainage system, landscaping, lighting and bronze elements of Buckingham Fountain that began in September 2008 has not been completed due to lack of funds.

For more information about images of Buckingham Fountain, please, contact us at 312-666-9797.

 

Advertisements

Chicago Board of Trade Photographs

Chicago Board of Trade

CBOT 1938 Picture Old Chicago
Historical Chicago Board of Trade – 1938

Friedman Fine Art and chicago-photographs.com present a series of photographs highlighting the historic Chicago Board of Trade bbuilding located at 141 W. Jackson Boulevard. While the building is composed of two parts, the North Building, which was built in 1930 by architects Holabird and Root, has been designated as a Chicago landmark and its lobby along with the façade has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Among the various features, which distinguish the Chicago Board of Trade in the Chicago Skyline is the Ceres sculpture at the top of the building. The sculpture was designed by sculptor, John H. Storrs and features Ceres, the Roman goddess of grain, holding a sheaf of wheat and a bag of corn. To see more historic and contemporary pictures of the Chicago Board of Trade building, please click the link to our slideshow,
Chicago Board of Trade Photos .

For information on how to purchase these beautiful and other marvelous photos, you can follow this link, Chicago Photography and Chicago Photographs

Historical and Contemporary Photographs of Chicago, Illinois

CNA Building
CNA Building

Friedman Fine Art presents historical and contemporary photographs of the sites in Chicago. The CNA Center is located one block from Michigan Avenue and the open space of Grant Park, making it stand out. At 333 South Wabash Avenue in the Loop in Chicago, it was designed by Graham, Anderson, Probst & White and completed in 1972, opening a year later. Standing 44 stories, the rectangular structure was painted red to depict the sun setting over the ocean.

In 1999, a shard of glass fell from a 29th floor window and killed a woman walking on Wabash Avenue. It wasn’t the first time glass had fallen from the building. In 1994, glass had injured a man on the sidewalk below. The building had a history of cracking windows for more than 20 years.

After an investigation, the building’s owner paid a huge fine to the city and settled the lawsuit filed by the family. All 3,000 windows in the building were replaced with new glass. CNA Financial insurance company still physically checks each window monthly.

Today the windows on CNA Center are often used to produce light messages, typically those for holidays and other events. For example, in 2005 there were messages while the White Sox played and won the 2005 World Series. To purchase the photograph or learn about purchasing more of these marvelous photographs.

Pictures of Chicago Buildings in Downtown Chicago for Sale

State of Illinois Building
State of Illinois Building

Friedman Fine Art offers the finest selection from a collection of historical and contemporary photographs taken by Chicago photographers. The State of Illinois Building is one of Chicago’s most popular sites for concerts, fundraisers, and other special events. The building features an 600-seat Assembly Hall Auditorium, an art gallery, 3 floors of restaurants and shops, and 13 floors of balconies. Located at 100 W. Randolph Street in the Loop, it also houses offices of the State of Illinois.Designed by Murphy/Helmut Jahn, the building opened in May 1985 as the State of Illinois Center, and was renamed in 1993 to honor former Illinois Governor James R. Thompson. The building contains glass elevator shafts, glass-paneled walls and ceiling, and marble floors. Instead of insulated glass, which was expensive at the time, non-insulated glass panels was used, causing the need for a more air conditioning and heating during the seasons.

In front of the Thompson Center is a sculpture, Monument With Standing Beast, by Jean Dubuffet. Standing 29 feet, the white fiberglass work of art has been perceived as a tree, standing animal, or architectural form. It was unveiled on November 28, 1984, funded under the State of Illinois Art-in-Architecture Program.

Tunnels of the Chicago Pedway enter the buildings food-court concourse, taking people from 203 North LaSalle Street, the Chicago Title and Trust Company and Chicago City Hall. For more information on this collection and how to purchase photographs, contact Loren Friedman at info@friedmanfineart.net

Buy Photos of Chicago’s Riverwalk

Chicago Pictures
Chicago Riverwalk

Friedman Fine Art presents contemporary and historical photographs of Chicago, including a diverse selection of black and white photographs. Called the “Second Lakefront,” the Chicago Riverwalk has been known as a great place to explore Chicago’s history, culture, and architecture. Extending from Lake Shore Drive to Franklin Street, the Riverwalk sits on the south bank of theChicago River in downtown Chicago.

The Riverwalk provides a quantity of public walkways and seating areas along the shore, where visitors can view skyscrapers and watch passing boats. The Riverwalk also has attractions such as cafes, boat cruises, tours, and water taxis.

The Riverwalk is the largest at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Plaza at State and Wabash streets, which was built in 2005 to commemorate the war. Here the Riverwalk consists of a lush lawn, a waterfall, and a center pool.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel plans to extend the Riverwalk for another six blocks along Chicago’s River, from State to Lake streets. Learn how to purchase more photos for your home of office by following this link, Chicago Photography and Chicago Photographs for sale.

Classic Photo of Calder’s Flamingo in Downtown Chicago Illinois

Calder's Flamingo
Calder’s Flamingo

Friedman Fine Art presents historical and contemporary photographs of Chicago. The Calder’s Flamingo, located in the Federal Plaza in front of the Kluczynski Federal Building in Chicago, has a curved shape and vivid color that contrasts drastically with the glass and angular steel in the buildings surrounding it. The Flamingo weighs 50 tons and stands 53 feet tall, composed of steel stabile, a material pioneered by its designer American artist Alexander Calder. Calder gave the stabile its unique color, which has been called “Calder red.” Despite its appearance, the structure is stationary, as opposed to a mobile structure.

Flamingo was the first work of art commissioned by the General Services Administration under the federal Percent for Art program, which sets a percentage of its budget to public art. The plaza, surrounded by rectangular modern buildings, needed an arching art form with dynamic surfaces. Calder was commissioned to design the structure and he revealed the model for Flamingo on April 23, 1973 at the Art Institute of Chicago. The sculpture was presented to the public on October 25, 1974.

For the past 38 years, the Flamingo has occupied a civic space known for serious debates.

Chicago’s Federal Plaza is known as the site of mass demonstrations against anything from the war in Afghanistan to Obamacare, the Flamingo presiding over all the protests.

Despite its large size, the open design allows people to walk under and through the sculpture, leading one to perceive it to human scale. The structure is open to the public daily.

Currently, the General Services Administration is implementing a four-week restoration of the sculpture. The treatment includes coating the metal with a zinc-rich primer for extra durability, and applying a topcoat of “Calder Red” paint to prevent corrosion. To purchase visit our Chicago Photographs contact form.