Friedman Fine Art and chicago-photographs.com present a series of photographs highlighting the historic Chicago Board of Trade bbuilding located at 141 W. Jackson Boulevard. While the building is composed of two parts, the North Building, which was built in 1930 by architects Holabird and Root, has been designated as a Chicago landmark and its lobby along with the façade has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Among the various features, which distinguish the Chicago Board of Trade in the Chicago Skyline is the Ceres sculpture at the top of the building. The sculpture was designed by sculptor, John H. Storrs and features Ceres, the Roman goddess of grain, holding a sheaf of wheat and a bag of corn. To see more historic and contemporary pictures of the Chicago Board of Trade building, please click the link to our slideshow, Chicago Board of Trade Photos .
Friedman Fine Art offers the finest selection from a collection of historical and contemporary photographs taken by Chicago photographers. The State of Illinois Building is one of Chicago’s most popular sites for concerts, fundraisers, and other special events. The building features an 600-seat Assembly Hall Auditorium, an art gallery, 3 floors of restaurants and shops, and 13 floors of balconies. Located at 100 W. Randolph Street in the Loop, it also houses offices of the State of Illinois.Designed by Murphy/Helmut Jahn, the building opened in May 1985 as the State of Illinois Center, and was renamed in 1993 to honor former Illinois Governor James R. Thompson. The building contains glass elevator shafts, glass-paneled walls and ceiling, and marble floors. Instead of insulated glass, which was expensive at the time, non-insulated glass panels was used, causing the need for a more air conditioning and heating during the seasons.
In front of the Thompson Center is a sculpture, Monument With Standing Beast, by Jean Dubuffet. Standing 29 feet, the white fiberglass work of art has been perceived as a tree, standing animal, or architectural form. It was unveiled on November 28, 1984, funded under the State of Illinois Art-in-Architecture Program.
Tunnels of the Chicago Pedway enter the buildings food-court concourse, taking people from 203 North LaSalle Street, the Chicago Title and Trust Company and Chicago City Hall. For more information on this collection and how to purchase photographs, contact Loren Friedman at email@example.com
Friedman Fine Art offers unique high quality historical and contemporary photos of Chicago, including a selection of black and white photos of famous buildings in the city. The Carson, Pirie, Scott and Company building, now known as the Sullivan Center, is located on the southeast corner of State and Madison streets in the Loop at 1 State St. It was designed by Louis Sullivan for the retail firm Schlesinger & Mayer in 1899.
The building was built in two phases. First, Sullivan designed a nine-story building, and the second building took over the first, which was built in 1903 reaching 12 stories high. Burnham and Root were hired to help complete the additions.
Notable for its elaborate ironwork ornament on the first and second floor and its steel framework, Carson Pirie Scott building is a National Historic Landmark. Bronze and terra cotta also set the building apart from others.
In 2006, Bon-Ton Stores Inc. of Carson Pirie Scott announced the department store in the building would close. Carson’s closed in February 2007 and was renamed the Sullivan Center, currently owned by Joseph Freed and Associates LLC. The 600,000-square-foot building is the home of office, restaurant, and school users. Tenants of the Sullivan Center include the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and Target, which opened in 2012.
The building is open to the public during normal business hours.
Friedman Fine Art presents remarkable contemporary and historical photographs taken by Chicago photographers. The Congress Hotel is a historic Chicago hotel on Michigan Avenue, which was originally built to accommodate visitors to the World’s Columbian Exposition in 1893. Located across South Michigan Avenue from Grant Park in Chicago at 520 South Michigan Avenue, this 14-story hotel serviced our nation’s Presidents, foreign dignitaries, movie celebrities, and housed many conventions. The guestrooms and suites of the Congress Hotel are spacious and decorative, with stunning views of Lake Michigan.Designed by architect Clinton J. Warren, the 11-story structure was originally constructed for an annex to the Auditorium Theater across the street. The two buildings were linked by Peacock Alley, a marble underground passage. In 1902 and in 1907, the firm of Holabird & Roche oversaw construction of two additions, making the entire complex 1 million square feet.
In 1940, Chicago artist Louis Grell was commissioned to paint thirteen murals for the lunettes, architectural features around the grand lobby. The murals had popular scenes in Chicago at the time. In 1955 Pick had Grell paint three walls for the Pompeian Room which also housed the Louis Comfort Tiffany glass fountain. The building also features the famous Gold Room, one of Chicago’s most beautiful ballrooms. Find more Old Chicago Photos.
Friedman Fine Art offers a variety of historical and contemporary photographs
taken by the finest Chicago photographers.
The Richard J. Daley Center occupies the city block bound by Randolph, Clark, Washington and Dearborn Streets. Also known as Daley Plaza, the Center is named after Mayor Richard J. Daley since 1976, changed from its original name, the Chicago Civic Center.
Completed in 1965, the main building was designed by Jacques Brownson of the firm C. F. Murphy Associates. The Daley Center has 30 floors, having more than 120 and hearing rooms. It offers office space for both the city and Cook County. The building also contains the Cook County Law Library, offices of the Clerk of the Circuit Court, and divisions of the Sheriff’s Department.
The Daley Center is operational from 8:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. and is accessible by rail and bus routes. A pedway is open until 6 pm to allow people underground access between the City Hall/County Building and the CTA.
In the Daley Plaza next to the building is a Cor-ten steel sculpture. Designed by artist Pablo Picasso, it reaches 50 feet and retains a red, brown color. The Cor-Ten was designed to rust to strengthen the sculpture. The sculpture was completed in 1967, as a gift to the city from the artist. This sculpture became a Chicago landmark.
Also in the plaza is an eternal flame memorial to the dead from World War I, World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. The Daley Center Plaza can be used for civic events or cultural events in the city. To learn more about historical Chicago photographs.
Friedman Fine Art features a magnificent array of historical and contemporary photographs of Chicago.
Designed by architect firms Perkins & Will and Edward Stone, the Aon Center was constructed in 1974 and remains the third tallest building in Chicago. Standing 1,136 feet high with 83 stories, it has 2.3 million square feet of floor space, shared by Aon’s US operations and Jones Lang LaSalle operations. The Aon Center is similarly designed to First Canadian Place in Toronto, Canada, but its windows take on a different look. The Aon Center is also the tallest building in the world without any major antennae or finials at the top.
The Aon Center has V-shaped perimeter columns, resistant to earthquakes and wind gusts. The structure reduces sway and prevents column bending. This structure was also used for the World Trade Center towers in New York City. Composed of marble and steel, it earned the nickname “Big Stan” when it was completed as the tallest building in Chicago. A year later, the Sears Tower became Chicago’s tallest building.
It was first known as the Standard Oil Building and then renamed the Amoco Building. In 1998, Amoco sold the building to The Blackstone Group and became the Aon Center in 1999, although the Aon Corporation moved in a few years later.
Just off Michigan Avenue in Chicago’s South Loop, it is located shopping and dining. Inside, it offers spectacular city views of the city. Currently, the city lights the top floors at night with colors for a particular season or holiday.
Friedman Fine Art presents contemporary and historical photographs of Chicago, including a diverse selection of black and white photographs. Called the “Second Lakefront,” the Chicago Riverwalk has been known as a great place to explore Chicago’s history, culture, and architecture. Extending from Lake Shore Drive to Franklin Street, the Riverwalk sits on the south bank of theChicago River in downtown Chicago.
The Riverwalk provides a quantity of public walkways and seating areas along the shore, where visitors can view skyscrapers and watch passing boats. The Riverwalk also has attractions such as cafes, boat cruises, tours, and water taxis.
The Riverwalk is the largest at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Plaza at State and Wabash streets, which was built in 2005 to commemorate the war. Here the Riverwalk consists of a lush lawn, a waterfall, and a center pool.