Friedman Fine Art and chicago-photographs.com present a series of photographs highlighting the historic Chicago Board of Trade bbuilding located at 141 W. Jackson Boulevard. While the building is composed of two parts, the North Building, which was built in 1930 by architects Holabird and Root, has been designated as a Chicago landmark and its lobby along with the façade has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Among the various features, which distinguish the Chicago Board of Trade in the Chicago Skyline is the Ceres sculpture at the top of the building. The sculpture was designed by sculptor, John H. Storrs and features Ceres, the Roman goddess of grain, holding a sheaf of wheat and a bag of corn. To see more historic and contemporary pictures of the Chicago Board of Trade building, please click the link to our slideshow, Chicago Board of Trade Photos .
Friedman Fine Art offers a diverse collection of historical and contemporary photographs in Chicago. At 275 feet, the Fisher Building is a 20-story neo-Gothic landmark, located in the Chicago Loop at 343 South Dearborn Street. The building is known for its interesting terra cotta tracery, or carvings of aquatic creatures including fish and crabs on the lower floors. There are carvings of eagles, dragons, and mythical creatures on the upper floors.
Designed by Charles Atwood of D.H. Burnham and Company, the first phase of the Fisher Building opened in 1896. This 18-story building measured about 230 feet tall and was the second-tallest building in the city at the time. Its steel frame took only 25 days to complete. An addition on the north side of the building was made in 1906, which raised the building from 18 to 20 stories. Former employee of the Burnham firm Peter J. Weber, designed and oversaw the addition, which was completed in 1907.
The interior of the building was decorated with expensive materials. Many of the floors had colorful mosaic designs. The wainscoting was composed of Carrara marble and mahogany wood was present in its the trim.
Today, the Fisher Building is the oldest 18-story building in Chicago that has not been demolished. It is currently owned and managed by Village Green Management Company, and has apartments on floors 3–20 and commercial stores on the first and second floors. To purchase this vintage photograph or more Chicago photographs.
Friedman Fine Art presents remarkable contemporary and historical photographs taken by Chicago photographers. The Congress Hotel is a historic Chicago hotel on Michigan Avenue, which was originally built to accommodate visitors to the World’s Columbian Exposition in 1893. Located across South Michigan Avenue from Grant Park in Chicago at 520 South Michigan Avenue, this 14-story hotel serviced our nation’s Presidents, foreign dignitaries, movie celebrities, and housed many conventions. The guestrooms and suites of the Congress Hotel are spacious and decorative, with stunning views of Lake Michigan.Designed by architect Clinton J. Warren, the 11-story structure was originally constructed for an annex to the Auditorium Theater across the street. The two buildings were linked by Peacock Alley, a marble underground passage. In 1902 and in 1907, the firm of Holabird & Roche oversaw construction of two additions, making the entire complex 1 million square feet.
In 1940, Chicago artist Louis Grell was commissioned to paint thirteen murals for the lunettes, architectural features around the grand lobby. The murals had popular scenes in Chicago at the time. In 1955 Pick had Grell paint three walls for the Pompeian Room which also housed the Louis Comfort Tiffany glass fountain. The building also features the famous Gold Room, one of Chicago’s most beautiful ballrooms. Find more Old Chicago Photos.
The Chicago River was awarded in 1999, by the American Society of Civil Engineers as a ‘Civil Engineering Monument of the Millennium’. This man-made waterflow system was out of necessity as extreme weather of 1885 threatened the city’s water supply.
The source of the main water stem is from Lake Michigan to the Chicago River. These waters are maintained through various locks that are on the basin of the lake to the Mississippi river.
Other contributors to the water flow of the city are the many bridges and fountains that memorialize the founders and revolutionary visionaries that have made Chicago a remarkable city.
Although there have been periods of slight flooding and different pollutants that have interrupted the river flow, the city has recovered and have celebrated this engineering accomplishment with many celebrations on the Chicago River including “Mayor Daley’s Chicago River Fishing Festival” and also the dying of the Chicago River on St. Patrick’s Day.
Navy Pier has been host to many ships over the years as it was a naval training base as well as one of the greatest inland ports in the world. Although known today as a place of entertainment, the pier has been home to many a venue. Built in 1914, architect Charles Sumner Frost and Daniel Burnham had a vision to make this a recreational and shipping dock that would be near the mouth of the Chicago River
Through World War I and II the pier was a barracks for soldiers, Red Cross and Home Defense. The pier has also had its own streetcar line, theater, restaurants and an emergency hospital. In 1995, the pier had a complete makeover and re-opened to the public with a big mix of food and entertainment including the Guiness World Record Ferris Wheel.
Since 1998, the Pier has hosted the Tall Ships Exhibit where people can board maritime vessels including some that at once graced the docks of the original pier. This year, Pepsi is once again sponsoring the Tall Ships Exhibit August 7-11.
Today the Randolph Street Market is a monthly event that features antiques, art, fashion, food and music. But in the early days of Chicago, the Randolph Street Market was a way for immigrants to earn money.
Unfortunately, the Market became a place of horror on the night of May 4, 1886, when a bomb was thrown into the crowd of an anarchist meeting, killing several and injuring several more. The controversy was over the organizations of labor at the local factories including the McCormick Reaper Plant where a few days earlier a strike had erupted there where two were killed.
Although the Randolph Street Market happened to be the meeting place for the violence, the market still thrives today bringing in many visitors once a month. The market is now an indoor/outdoor market with nicely paved walkways outdoors and terrazzo floors inside. Many local vendors sell everything from food to clothing, but the most popular is the antique market. Click here to view and purchase early photos of Chicago.
A building so grandiose that expands 4,000,000 square feet, Chicago’s Merchandise Mart was one of the world’s largest buildings when it opened on May 5, 1930. When the property was listed for sale, the Marshall Field family came in and scooped it up with a vision in mind.
On the border of Orleans, Wells and Kinzie Streets, the massive structure had its own zip code until 2008, when it spanned the surrounding area. In its first few years wholesale goods businesses occupied the space as well as interior design vendors and other trades. Other businesses have called Merchandise Mart home including the Shops at the Mart, the Illinois Institute of Art and the the Chicago Sun-Times.
Through the vision of Marshall Field and the architectural firm, Graham, Anderson, Probst and White, the “city with a city” became the main focus throughout the construction process that started before the Great Depression in 1928 upon completion in 1931. This building was revolutionary in that the machine age was upon them through the use of transfer elevators, conveyor belts, boats and railroad.
Designer Alfred Shaw completed the ornate features of the building in an art deco style that shows in the windows, corners and edges of the structure that reduces and disguises the bulkiness of the raw materials. With majestic terrazzo floors and marble piers as well as embossed bronze trim used in the storefronts, the businesses inside were allowed to personalize their individual space.
Although slightly expanded and renovated over the years, this striking work of architecture still stands as the thirty-sixth largest building in the world. Over 20,000 visitors a day walk the enormous corridors, view the showrooms, attend trade fairs and grab lunch at the food court.
Now owned by Vornado Realty Trust, this gem of the city is known worldwide and is treasured by the city of Chicago.